Tuesday, September 05, 2006

YO Cable Socks





socks for grandma

pattern: based on the YO cables from Sensational Knitted Socks (by Charlene Schurch)

yarn: Cascade Fixation (98.3% cotton / 1.7% elastic)




I wasn't crazy about the yarn at first -- it's a little too nubbly for my tastes -- but it sure makes a comfortable stretchy sock. Even better, the elastic allows me to knit for hours without pain. Knitting with other cotton yarns makes my hands ache.

I want to mail these off tomorrow (grandma's birthday was last month) so I steam blocked them instead of doing my usual wet block. First I made a blocker using a wire hanger, which makes a lot more sense than dropping $25 plus s&h on commercial blockers. I found easy instructions here (not my page). Blockers aren't really necessary though, I've always found that gently patting the fabric into shape works too.

No comments: