Monday, January 03, 2005

one of these things is not like the others

Dad's boring OSU hat, made from Lamb's Pride Bulky:


Mom with her shawl:


I thought there was something wrong with the photo and then realized those white blotchy spots are the snowmen on mom's sweater peeking through the lace. Yes, mom wears cutesy winter sweaters. I didn't inherit that gene.

Bob's boring blue hat, made from Lamb's Pride Bulky:


Zzzzzz. Boring hats are so boring -- but that's what they'll actually wear.

If you're near Bremerton, Washington check out the new yarn shop Sweet Stitch on Wheaton Way. It's not bursting at the seams with stock (like Acorn Street in Seattle) but I was impressed with the quality of yarn on their shelves. The owner really likes alpaca. Clean and classy atmosphere but not "don't touch!" sterile. They had me at hello: I walked in and heard Billie Holiday playing on the stereo. It's the only place I've been to in person that carries Nature Spun sport weight as well as worsted weight. The owner was very friendly and interested in helping us shop without being intrusive, which is a delicate balance to achieve indeed. I could have spent an insane amount of money in there and I hope to see them flourish. Unfortunately their location isn't that hot (it's not exactly visible from Wheaton Way, unless you know where to look) so they won't be able to count on a lot of "hey there's a yarn shop!" foot traffic. Get the word out, eh?

Knitting time will be scarce this week, I must focus on cleaning/decluttering my home in preparation for birthday festivities this weekend.

Someone recently asked how I block my hats so I'm preparing a very simple tutorial (simple as in blink and you'll miss it), that should be up in the next day or two.

No comments: